The Holy Cross Church situated within the Muziris Heritage area of Kerala is a historically important Church. Located in the village of Chendamangalam, in Ernakulam District, the Jesuit Priests from Portugal started this Church in 1577. Saint Francis Xavier, the great Christian Missionary, is believed to have lived in the old building of this Church.
In the early period, the Christians of Kerala seem to have built their churches following the model of Hindu temples. The indigenous tradition which influenced church architecture continued without a break till the coming of the Portuguese in 1498 AD. As part of their policy of Latinisation of the church in Kerala, it is learnt that the Portuguese introduced innovation in the design of church buildings too. St. Mary's L. P. School which started in 1921 as a part of the Holy Cross Church is a fine example of the cordial relationship of different communities in Chendamangalam.