Spread over an area of about 5 acres at Methala, around 3 km from Kodungallur on the Kodungallur-Moothakunnam route, Cheraman Parambu has a significant place in the history of Kerala. Generally regarded as the royal seat of the Cheraman Perumals, the kings of the Chera dynasty, this site was declared as a protected monument by the department of Archaeology in 1936. The kings of the Chera dynasty ruled Kerala during the 9th, 10th and 11th centuries A.D and its headquarters being Kodungallur .
The Archaeology Department of Cochin, during its explorations had noticed some old laterite foundations and remains of walls in this area, the department with the help of the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) excavated the site between 1944 and 1945. At a depth of 1.5 meters, various kinds of potsherds, copper and iron implements, bangles and beads and small lead balls were found. And loose sand was found under the occupation layers. The majority of the potsherds belonged to a group called Celadon ware, a pottery made in China during the Sung period, between the 10th and 12th centuries AD. Later, in 1960, when the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) excavated in a different area of the same site, no serious archaeological evidences were found. However, these explorations unearthed a number of Shiva-lingas, which are now exhibited in a corner of the site.